Find Accredited Veterinary Technician Schools in Illinois
While there are many schools offering a curriculum for veterinary technicians, prospects must be careful and choose schools that are accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association. Degrees and certificates from non-accredited schools are not sufficient to qualify for licensing and many job opportunities. Here are a few of the most popular accredited Vet Tech programs in Illinois.
- Joliet Junior College (Joliet, Illinois) - This school offers an Associate's of Applied Science (AAS) degree. It is a two-year program that focuses on administering of medication, radiology, nursing care of animals and record keeping.
- Fox College Inc (Bedford Park) - The school offers an AAS degree. This program is shorter than most at 18 months. Students will be exposed to techniques in radiology, dentistry, lab work and nursing.
- Parkland College (Champaign, Illinois) - The school provides a AAS in Veterinary Technology. Students will be exposed to medical and diagnosis procedures for both domestic and exotic animals.
- Sanford Brown College (Hillside, Illinois) - The school's AAS degree is a two-year program that focuses on both the medical and psychological aspects of animal welfare.
How to get Certified in Illinois
In Illinois, Vet Techs are required to be licensed by the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation. In order to secure licensing, prospects must meet three criteria.
- Obtain a minimum of a AAS degree in Veterinary Technology from a school accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Take and pass the Veterinary Technician National Examination.
- Renew the license every two years with a continuing education requirement.
Salaries for Veterinary Technicians in Illinois
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the median wages for a Vet Tech in Illinois is $33,000 per year, with a mean wage of almost $31,000. The median wage is about 10% above the national average.
The great news for Vet Tech prospects across the country is that the job outlook is quite promising over the next 10 years. Citing the BLS, the field is expected to expand by 30% within this time-frame. A large part of this is expansion is due to the advent of new technologies that require more specialized training and classes.
Sorry, we could not find any matching schools